Music-making has been a lifelong passion of mine, and I have been fortunate to have been able to make it part of my professional life. Although I dabble in Norwegian and Swedish music, and sometimes old-time American songs, Scottish traditional music and song are my first loves, and it’s these I focus on, playing cittern as a melody player and accompanist, and singing unaccompanied ballads.
In 2012, I founded The World’s Room singing club in Edinburgh, which acts as a welcoming space for everyone and anyone to share their singing traditions. The club is still going strong, and is one of the finest places in Edinburgh to hear traditional music.
In 2008, I began singing with Edinburgh-based singer Lucy Pringle, one of the finest female traditional singers in Scotland. Our repertoire was firmly in the Scots and English idioms of folk song, and our approach was noted for its sympathetic manner, letting the songs ‘breathe’.
We went on to win a Danny Kyle Open Stage Award at Celtic Connections that year, and decided to release an album on our own label. ‘The Speaking Heart’, produced by Steve Byrne of Malinky, was released in December 2010, and received acclaim in the folk music press and radio.
A limited number of copies of this album are still available. If you would like to buy one, please contact me through this site here.
I appear on a number of albums as a session musician or in collaboration; click on the album titles to find out more about each one:
- Ewan MacPherson, ‘Fetch!‘, SHOOGLE16017, 2016.
- Various, A’ Tarraing às an Tobar/Raisin the Riches, ATAAT2014, 2014.
- Various, The Complete Songs of Robert Tannahill, Vols 2 & 3, CDBAR010/CDBAR017, 2010/2012.
- Gavin Pennycook, Celtic Nyckelharpa, GPCD002, 2010.
- Mark Dunlop, Islands on the Moon, CDTRAX307, 2008.
- Steve Byrne, Songs from Home, CDTRAX275, 2006.
- Various, The Complete Songs of Robert Burns, Vols 9-12, CKD156/811/199/201, 2001/2.
- Various, Folkal Point, CDTRAX168, 1998.